Sonya Grayson is a professional editor, writer, and digital media consultant based in New York. She holds an M.S. in Publishing and Digital Media from New York University and a B.A. in Literature. She loves reading, books, and wordsmithing in all forms. As an excellent editor would, she imagines each author’s individual voice and while using strict adherence to style guides, uses the original tone of the manuscript in front of her to help guide authors and achieve exactly what they mean to say. An oft-repeated mantra from her high school English class days: the words “brevity and clarity”—and she remembers them to this day. Strunk and White also believe that “every word must tell.” And every teacher she has had growing up encouraged and fostered her writing; every book she’s read has helped inform her editing. She is deeply grateful to all her teachers, and all that she has read.
She is available for freelance opportunities on a range of subjects and projects and has experience with Chicago, MLA, APA, AP, and AMA style; please inquire through the Contact Me form. This is a partial list of some past projects:
- Assistant editor for Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading (www.scienceandliteracy.org), Lawrence Hall of Science and the Graduate School of Education at the University of California-Berkeley, producer of 81 children’s books ranging from chemistry to ocean science to soil habitats to planets and moons
- Medical annotations and proofreading for the Spine Institute, Santa Monica, CA and the newsletter for the Association of Heart Failure Nurses, Mt. Laurel, New Jersey
- Editor of The Time Seekers by D.A. Squires, a YA adventure story about a talking parrot and his friends
- Editor of Monster by Micael Dahlen, Volante Publishing, Sweden
- Proofreader of Unleashing The Power of PR: A Contrarian’s Guide to Marketing and Communication by Mark Weiner, Jossey-Bass/John Wiley and Sons